Wiggle's Laura provides us with a fantastic recipe for high protein chocolate cupcakes, with a Christmas theme!
We love Christmas at Wiggle, and with the festive season fast approaching we have come up with a fun recipe for reindeer cupcakes!
We added a healthy twist here though - chocolate protein powder; for added strength building.
Instead of using regular chocolate powder for the mix, we added in Grenade Hydra6 Chocolate Protein Powder.
We obviously also ate the cupcakes to ensure they taste nice too, and they really do... so let's get baking!
- 2 sachets of Grenade Chocolate protein powder (2x35g)
- 125g / 4½oz of butter, softened
- 175g / 6oz of caster sugar
- 175g / 7oz of self-raising flour
- 2 free-range eggs
- 100ml / 3½fl oz of milk
- 100g / 3½oz dark 70% cocoa chocolate from a tablet (melted)
- Pretzels (for the antlers)
- 12 raspberries (for the noses)
- 12 mini marshmallows (for the eyes)
You will also need a muffin tray and a saucepan.
You can also use an electric whisk, although not essential
Step by step
1. Preheat the oven to 170C / 325F / Gas 3
2. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases (basic white ones will do but I used green and red ones for added ‘Christmas-ness’)
3. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy
4. Add in the eggs until well combined
5. Sift in the chocolate protein powder and the flour, and mix until combined
Fold in the milk
6. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until well risen and lightly firm to the touch
7. Remove the cakes from the tin, and set aside to let them cool down
8. Now for the icing part, heat the chocolate in a saucepan over a low heat until the chocolate has melted
9. Whisk the mixture until smooth and set aside to cool slightly
10. Spread the icing over the top of the cupcakes
11. Add a raspberry at the center of each cupcake as the nose
12. Stick on two slices of marshmallows as the eyes
13. Stick on the pretzels as the ears
Ta dah - your cupcakes are now ready to eat!